Skip to main content
Lewis & Clark Digital Collections
College History

Lewis & Clark College is one of the oldest collegiate institutions in the Pacific Northwest, dating back to 1867 when it was founded by the Presbyterian Church as Albany Collegiate Institute in Albany, Oregon.


Timeline

 

February 2, 1867
Albany Collegiate Institute was founded in Albany, Oregon on property donated by Thomas and Christine Monteith.
1867-68
Rev. William J. Monteith named as Albany's first president.
1868-69
Rev. Henry Bushnell, president.
1869-71
Rev. Edward R. Geary, president.
1871-76
Royal K. Warren, president.
1873
Albany honored its first graduates, four women: Maria Irvine, Cora Irvine, Weltha Young, and Mary Hannon.
1876-78
Rev. Howard W. Stratton, president.
1878-79
David B. Rice, president.
1879-85, 1887-94
Rev. Elbert Neal Condit, president.
1885-86
Joseph C. Wyckoff, president.
April-June, 1886
Earl T. Lockhard, president.
1886-1887
Rev. Edwin J. Thompson, president.
1891
Black and Orange are selected as the school colors.
1892
"The Orange and the Black" is designated as the official school song.
1894-95
Frederic George Young, president.
1895-1905, 1915-20
Wallace Howe Lee, president.
1905
Albany Collegiate Insititute is officially renamed Albany College.
1905-15
Harry Means Crooks, president.
1920-22
Alfred Melvin Williams, term as president.
1922-23
Raymond J. Bake, term as president.
1923-28, 1938-41
Clarence W. Greene, president.
1924
Lloyd and Edna Frank and their children moved into the newly built Fir Acres estate, which later became the campus for Lewis & Clark College. This estate was designed by architect Herman Brookman, and soon after its construction was considered one of the most beautiful estates in the western United States.
1927
Albany College moved to a larger piece of property in Albany, Oregon, which was called the Monteith campus.
1929-38
Thomas William Bibb, president.
1934
Albany College attempted to improve its attendance by establishing a Portland satelite campus in Portland, Oregon.
1938
Albany College lost its accreditation with the Northwest Association of Secondary and Higher Schools. Although accreditation was not regained until 1944, the college remained open, and students continued to attend.
June, 1938
The Board of Trustees made the difficult decision to close the Albany campus permanently, and focus on developing a campus in Portland.
1940
College Board of Trustees recommended the purchase of Weatherly Heights, on Mount Tabor, Portland, Oregon, for the new campus. The Weatherly Heights plan was abandoned in 1941 because of a lack of funds.
1941-42
Benjamin A. Thaxter, president.
1942
The Fir Acres estate was purchased from the Frank family for $46,000, and the College was renamed Lewis & Clark College.
1942-60
Morgan S. Odell, president.
1946
The name "Pioneers" was adopted by the student body.
1960-81
John R. Howard, president.
1965
Northwest College of Law merged with Lewis & Clark College.
1966
The college gymnasium burned down.
1966
Lewis & Clark College severed official ties with the Presbyterian Church.
1981-89
James Gardner, president.
1989-2003
Michael Mooney, president.
2003-2004
Paul Bragdon, interim president.
2004-2009
Thomas J. Hochstettler, president.
2009-present
Barry Glassner, president.